Implant Dentures – Prospect, IL
Seamless Full-Arch Tooth Replacement
Millions of people across the U.S. are edentulous (missing all of their teeth). Many of them choose to get traditional dentures, but they soon find that their prosthetic has some significant drawbacks. Is there a better way to address extensive tooth loss? Yes! Our Prospect team is proud to offer implant dentures, which have the potential to provide seamless full-arch tooth replacement that is strong, durable, and natural-looking. Contact us today to book your implant consultation.
What Are Implant Dentures?
Dental implants are small cylinders, or posts, that get surgically inserted into a patient’s jawbone. Their job is to act as prosthetic tooth roots. They are capable of providing an extremely sturdy base for crowns, bridges, and dentures. They are widely regarded as the best form of tooth replacement.
When you come in for your consultation, we will carefully examine your mouth to determine if dental implants are right for you. If they are, we may recommend that you get either a fixed implant denture or a removable one.
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
As their name implies, fixed implant dentures are designed to remain in the mouth 24/7. In fact, they can only be removed by a dental professional. Many patients enjoy the convenience of always having their teeth with them. Often, it takes 4 – 6 dental implants to support a fixed implant denture.
Removable Implant Dentures
Removable implant dentures are easy for patients to remove on their own. They are held in place via small bar- or ball-shaped attachment. The biggest advantage of removable implant dentures is that they usually require fewer implant posts than fixed dentures, so even some people who have lost some bone density in their jaw are candidates for them.
The Implant Denture Procedure
We are proud to be able to complete the entire dental implant procedure right here in our Prospect, IL, periodontics office. Usually, the treatment process involves four steps:
- Initial consultation. We will verify that you are a candidate for implant dentures and start planning the details of your treatment.
- Dental implant surgery. We will carefully insert your implant posts at precise, pre-planned positions.
- Your implants will bond with your jawbone. You may need to undergo a second minor surgery so we can place abutments (small attachment pieces) on your implants.
- You will receive your beautiful new denture.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
You may be a good candidate for implant dentures if:
- You are missing all or most of your teeth.
- You are tired of the inconveniences that come with a traditional denture.
- Your jawbone is healthy enough to support dental implants.
- You have good habits (for example, you should be committed to thorough oral hygiene).
- You are free of active gum disease.
Even if you are not a candidate for implant dentures right away, you may become one after some preliminary treatments.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Implant dentures have some remarkable benefits, including:
- Implant dentures can enable you to eat virtually any food, including those that are challenging to consume with traditional prosthetics. They will also not slip and slide in your mouth.
- Dental implants can last for several decades if they receive proper care.
- An enduring fit. The fit of regular dentures changes over time due to a shifting jawbone structure. Dental implants preserve the jawbone so your teeth can fit well for as long as possible.
- Beauty and comfort. Implant dentures can look and feel very natural.